Hi guys! I posted the above photo on my instagram page yesterday and I got a few requests for the recipe so I thought I’d switch things up and post it. I had hunted on Pinterest a few years ago but a Buffalo Mac & Cheese and at the time couldn’t find one that didn’t involve evaporated milk. So, I took my usual homemade mac & cheese recipe and made a few modifications to it. Note, I normally omit the chicken from the recipe as usually making this is pretty spontaneous. Honestly, I like it both ways.
Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese
1 cooked chicken breast, shredded
500 g bag of pasta
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 cup of butter
2 cups of milk
2 cups of shredded cheese (any variety – I usually use marble or old cheddar)
1/2 cup of buffalo sauce (most recently I tried making my own out of Heart Beat Hot Sauce – this was basically an eye-balled mix of mostly hot sauce, melted butter and a splash of white vinegar)
Bread Crumbs (enough to top your dish) – optional
1 tbsp of melted butter – optional
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook pasta according to package directions
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat
- Add in the flour once the butter has melted, wisk to combine
- Once the butter and flour thicken, slowly pour in the milk and wisk it all together
- Bring the mixture to a boil, making sure you mix it often to prevent the mixture from burning to the bottom of the pot (keep your eyes on the pot to avoid over-boiling)
- Once the mixture has come to a boil and has thickened, remove from heat
- Add in the cheese and mix to combine
- Add in buffalo sauce and mix to combine
- Pour the buffalo/cheese sauce into the pot with the cooked and drained pasta
- Add shredded chicken to the pot as well
- Stir to combine
- Spray the baking dish of your choice with cooking spray and then add the mac and cheese mixture
- Combine enough breadcrumbs to cover the top of the dish with the melted butter (optional)
- Layer breadcrumb mixture over mac and cheese
- Bake in oven for about 20-30 minutes – end result should be bubbly and golden around the edges
I don’t usually write down my recipes so if anything seems like it is missing please let me know!
What’s your favourite dish to make? Let me know in the comments below! I’ve been obsessed with buffalo-everything lately!
YouTube | Bloglovin | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
4 thoughts on “Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese”
If I liked buffalo sauce I’d probably be all over this as it sounds good. But just the smell of buffalo/hot sauce makes me nauseated. 😕
To each their own 🙂 it’s definitely super delicious if you like buffalo sauce!
Thank you for sharing this recipe – it looks so freaking good! Can’t wait to try it! 🙂
You’re welcome!! xoxo Enjoy!!!