Last year I was inspired by Rachel of Helpless Whilst Drying who did a 100 Movie Challenge in 2016. I loved this idea and thought it would be something fun to do with my husband and lightly incorporate him into the blog. 100 movies sounded totally do-able, that’s basically 2 per week with a little bit of wiggle room. However, as you will see, we barely made it half way to our goal in 2017. I think this mostly has to do with how many television/Netflix series we watched (hello Stranger Things, Iron Fist, the Defenders, & Clone Wars to name a few). If you were to count in each individual episode of a television show we watched, we would have definitely made it. However, we did watch quite a few movies so let’s take a look of what we did watch!
Movies Watched in 2017
- Snowden (January 4)
- The Girl on the Train (January 7)
- Magnificent 7 (January 13)
- Daddy’s Home (January 15)
- La La Land (January 27)
- Ghostbusters (February 14)
- Logan (March 2)
- Mike & Dave Need Wedding Dates (April 3)
- Horrible Bosses 2 (April 8)
- Sex Drive (April 9)*
- Road Trip (April 16)*
- The Fate of the Furious (April 18)
- Jupiter Ascending (April 19)
- Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol 2 (May 4)
- The Martian (May 18)
- The Nice Guys (May 22)
- Passengers (May 28)
- The Lego Batman Movie (May 28)
- Ghost in the Shell (May 28)
- Arrival (May 28)
- Edge of Seventeen (May 30)
- Wonder Woman (June 1)
- Role Models (June 17)*
- Superbad (June 17)*
- The Grand Budapest Hotel (June 24)
- Keeping Up With the Joneses (July 6)
- Spiderman: Homecoming (July 11)
- Pixels (August 11)
- The Hitman’s Body Guard (August 26)
- It (September 20)
- Kingman: Secret Service (September 24)*
- Kingman: The Golden Circle (September 26)
- The Comedian (September 28)
- Gaga: Five Foot Two (September 28)
- Lord of the Ring: The Fellowship of the Ring (September 29)*
- 10 Cloverfield Lane (September 29)
- Why Him? (September 29)
- Shutter Island (October 6)
- The F World (October 8)
- Hidden Figures (October 15)
- The Meyerowitz Stories (New and Selected) (November 5)
- Hacksaw Ridge (November 6)
- Thor: Ragnarok (November 14)
- Justice League (November 17)
- Rouge One: A Star Wars Story (December 2)*
- Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope (December 3)*
- Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back (December 4)*
- Star Wars Episode 6: Return of the Jedi (December 5)*
- Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (December 11)*
- Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones (December 12)*
- Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith (December 14)*
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens (December 15)*
- Star Wars Episode 7: The Last Jedi (December 15)
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (December 23)*
- Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (December 24)
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (December 26)*
*Have previously seen this movie in the past
3 Standout Movies
- Logan | A wonderful way to wrap up Hugh Jackman’s portrayal of Wolverine. I don’t think there was anything about this movie that I didn’t like.
- Wonder Woman | I went into this movie with the lowest of expectations given the last few movies in the DC Cinematic Universe but this movie blew me away. Wonder Woman proved why she was the standout character in Batman v. Superman.
- The F Word | Harry Potter and Kylo Ren, nuff said. Kidding, this Canadian rom-com was both clever and funny. I highly recommend it if you haven’t seen it!
- The Martian | I thought it was a surprisingly funny and clever movie. Matt Damon was perfect for this role
- Guardian’s of the Galaxy, Volume 2 | Good marvel movie, not as good as the first but it lived up to my expectations.
- Wonder Woman | One of my favourite DC movies of the past few years, everything was well done aside from the final battle.
Our biggest disappointment had to be Lego Batman we both agreed on this one. The trailers looked so funny and the original Lego Movie was great, but this just didn’t live up to the hype. I remember us struggling to make it through this mediocre at best movie.
While we didn’t make it to our goal, I think I am going to try again in 2017! Though instead of trying to hit 100 movies, I might treat it more like a movie round-up because I did enjoy keeping track of what we watched and then going over the list to decide what the stand-outs and disappointing movies were. I would like to see if I actually can reach 100 though, so we will see!
Do you have any movie recommendations? Let me know in the comments down below!